Examples of this stamp
31 December 2013
17 December 2013
05 November 2013
01 November 2013
24 October 2013
17 October 2013
10 September 2013
My sister is an avid quilter, so she saves her tiny, 100% cotton scraps for me to make paper from. First, I sort the scraps by colour family, then wash without soap several times, to remove starches and whatnot that could affect the ph of the paper. After they've dried, I shred them into less then 1 inch bits with a rotary cutter.
Today, I worked on the orange/red/pink scraps. After a year of saving, I had about 1 pound, to which I added a bit of leftover pulp from an old bedsheet, and 1 sheet of abaca linters, for strength.
When the mix first went in to the beater, it was white, with specks of bright red and orange. As the patterned bits became smaller and smaller, the color turned brighter and brighter pink!
After about 3.5 hours in the beater, it was ready. I choose to leave it a bit un-homogenous, with lots of colored threads and small pieces of fabric. I added 1/2 tsp of yellow aqueous dispersed pigment, to turn it more of a orange than pink. 5TB sizing, and 3TB calcium carbonate added.
Forty sheets pulled today on my 11x14 molds, triple exchange pressed, and hanging restraint drying. Images when dry!